citation

"DRC Ebola News (1/2/20)." CSIS Commission on Strengthening America's Health Security, Center for Strategic and International Studies, January 02, 2020. Accessed June 12, 2020. https://healthsecurity.csis.org/articles/drc-ebola-news-1-2-20/

Daily update for January 2nd, 2020 on the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)

Photo Credit: Mike Stone/Getty Images

There were 2 new cases reported on January 2nd.

An Ebola patient treated in the U.S. chose to remain anonymous. Now he’s telling his story

Frontline – Ebola in the Congo

Ebola Flares Up Amid Attacks On Health Workers In Congo

DRC MoH Statistics/WHO AFRO Dashboard (as of January 2)

WHO AFRO Dashboard

Total cases: 3,382

  • Confirmed cases: 3,264
  • Probable cases: 118

- Suspected cases: 410

Deaths: 2,232

Vaccinated:

-260,345 (Merck Vaccine)

-4,068 (Johnson & Johnson Vaccine)

Congolese health leader on the challenges of stamping out Ebola

Axios, 12/30/19

Microbiologist Jean-Jacques Muyembe, current head of the Ebola outbreak efforts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, says community engagement combined with increased security and new medicines will halt the spread of the deadly virus. Muyembe discussed the challenges facing the DRC’s battle with Ebola with Axios in an interview translated by Trad Hatton, director in the DRC for the nonprofit global public health organization PATH, which arranged the interview.

Significant advances have been made in understanding how to combat the virus, although the unique problems of this outbreak have so far stymied efforts to stamp it out completely, Muyembe says. However, cases continue spreading, including particularly worrisome community deaths that occur outside of medically secure areas. Continued bursts of violence in the community that sometimes target health teams — a persistent problem — are also very concerning, Muyembe says.

DRC responders probe Ebola return to Kalunguta

CIDRAP, 12/27/19

Over the past few days, four new Ebola cases were confirmed in one of the former hot spots in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) outbreak, Kalunguta, which had gone 63 days with no new cases. The DRC’s Ebola technical committee (CMRE) said in its daily report for Dec 25 that investigators are exploring how the first two patients in the new cluster­—sisters ages 7 and 5—were exposed to the virus. The CMRE said the first newly detected patient in Kalunguta, located in North Kivu province not far from Beni and Butembo, is a 7-year-old girl who had been vaccinated in 2018 and had not been listed as a contact. Her symptoms began on Dec 18, meaning she was probably exposed to the virus in the first half of December.

Twitter

Tweet by Helen Branswell – 1/1/20

@HelenBranswell

#Ebola: There was 1 new case on Dec. 30. No deaths. Dec. 31 there were 3 cases. They were at Butembo & Katwa, which is tragic. Those areas — hugely problematic for the response last spring (ie violence) — had gone weeks without cases. This outbreak appears to be expanding.

Tweet by David Gressly – 1/2/20

@DavidGressly

I would like to start 2020 with positive thoughts and an optimistic outlook on how far we have come. Not only in the fight against #Ebola but in general.

Next Article